You won't fail if you're not perfect. You'll fail if you're not committed to improving yourself slightly each day.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Biggest Loser Challenge

In order to "amp up" my journey a little bit, I have signed up for a Biggest Loser style "challenge" at the local rec center/gym.  It cost $50 to join and is a 12 week program.  "Contestants" meet every Monday night at the gym for a weigh in and workout, but of course nobody is eliminated like on the show.  Everyone is free to stay the whole time. Weights are recorded every week and of course there is "homework" like on the show.  It's up to each contestant to keep a food journal and to workout an additional 2-3 times per week or more.

Last Monday February 6th was the beginning of the first week.  We got weighed in and my official starting weight on the gym scale was 187 lbs, which is about 3 lbs off from my digital scale at home, so for the purpose of the Biggest Loser update posts, I will be using THEIR weigh ins, so it may not match up with my home weigh ins on Fridays.   Anyway, my starting weight was 187 lbs and then we got a lot of info and went for our first workout.  There were about 40 some people so we did a circuit workout and of course some of the stations were pretty challenging.  I can tell my upper body and core strength are definitely my weak points and need the most work.

So my plan for this challenge is to of course go every Monday (except I'll be missing this week since Will is in town and we're all going to Blackhawk for a few days).  I've already made arrangements to email my food and exercise journal to the trainer and then I worked it out to where I can get weighed in Saturday morning.  Anyway, my plan will be to attend the weigh ins and workout at the gym, eat healthy of course, and workout at home at 3-5 more times during the week.  I have found that I like to mix it up at home and alternate different DVD workouts.  I have a variety of choices ranging from the 20 min "30 Day Shred" to the 35-45 minute Biggest Loser workouts to the 70 minute "Extreme Shed and Shred", so depending on the time I have to workout, I have several choices to fit those time slots.  I also plan on going to the kickboxing class on Wednesdays as often as I can, and my "goal" for this 12 weeks is to get to 160 lbs for a loss of 27 lbs (gym scale numbers LOL)






Oh, and you may want to know what you get for being the Biggest Loser... A free one year gym membership, which, with their new "pricing" would include some classes FOR FREE.  See before the kickboxing class was $6 for non member and $4 for member, but now it's free for members, which would be sweet.  And the ad in the paper also said something about a weekend stay in a hotel in Denver, but in the past the prize has been $200 and someone else said something about that, so I'm not quite sure what the second half of it is, but the gym membership alone sounds good to me.  Anything else would be a perk. LOL  And hey, even if I don't win, the classes are $6 per class and you get a free workout every Monday as part of the program, so one free workout per week times 12 weeeks would've been $72 and I paid $50 to join, so even I don't win, I still saved $22 on workouts right? LOL  But let's not think about me NOT winning ;)

So like I said, Monday was the first day and I will miss next week, so I will try to update with my weight etc. every week as part of my Biggest Loser Challenge series, so look for my update next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment